Sheet Metal Workers JATC Local 137
50-02 5th Street Suite A
Long Island City,
NY 11101
Tel: 718-937-4514
Fax: 718-937-4113
Page:  <   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13    14    15    16    17    18    19   20  

Deaf NY Starbucks patrons sue, say they were mocked

created on 07/22/2013 at 16:19:48, last updated on 07/22/2013 at 16:20:29

NEW YORK (AP) — Some Starbucks workers in the city were so rude to deaf customers they mocked them and called the police to try to get them kicked out, a lawsuit says. The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages and an order from the court to stop discriminatory behavior for what's described as multiple occasions of abuse over the past year. The suit, filed in federal court in Manhattan last week on behalf of 12 people, says one Starbucks Corp. employee laughed hysterically at a plaintiff's speech while others objected to a monthly meeting of a group of deaf people named Deaf Chat Coffee and called police. Starbucks spokeswoman Jamie Riley said the Seattle-based company, which refers to its employees as partners, is investigating. "Discrimination of any kind at Starbucks in unacceptable," she said. "We take these allegations very seriously and believe that they are neither in line with our values nor our track record of engaging the deaf community as partners and as customers." The lawsuit said the polic... Read more


created on 07/22/2013 at 16:19:17, last updated on 07/22/2013 at 16:19:17

DEMOCRACY VS. PLUTOCRACY Written by Paul Collins, Jr   “Do You Have the Will?” was the theme of this year’s Business Agents’ Conference. Obviously, the union workers in Wisconsin were very much on our mind at that time, and I believe we all know that Wisconsin workers had and continue to have a strong will in facing the attacks on them!The “Occupy Wall Street” people also have the will. They realize our country has become a plutocracy, a government controlled by the rich through corporations, also known as the 1%. It’s time to wake up the remaining 99% and get them to realize that we have been robbed. The 1% has robbed us of our jobs, our pensions, and our tax dollars.Corporations such as WorldCom and Enron, to name a couple of culprits, have bilked our pensions out of millions of dollars. Where were the regulators—you know, the part of government that supposedly watches out for the best interests of society? When a hungry person ... Read more

Hurricane Sandy - Survivor Fact Sheet

created on 07/22/2013 at 16:18:15, last updated on 07/22/2013 at 16:18:15

... Read more

FEMA - Ways to Apply for Assistance

created on 07/22/2013 at 16:17:42, last updated on 07/22/2013 at 16:17:42

... Read more

This website was built by UNION MEMBERS – Web Connectivity